Monday, June 22, 2009

Perfect Chocolate Chip Cookies


I LOVE chocolate chip cookies, and I make pretty good ones too.


But I am not going to share my recipe, not because I am mean, but because chances are you have a perfect recipe too- you are just making them wrong. (I know this is possible because people have used my recipe and made terrible cookies)

So here is how to use your recipe to make PERFECT chocolate chip cookies:

Fresh Ingredients: Don't pull out 4 year old baking soda and hope that is works.

Correct Measuring: make sure that your measuring spoons/cups all add up. I used to have a 1/2 cup that was more like a 1/3 and I couldn't figure out why my cookies didn't work.
Use 1/2 shortening and 1/2 butter at room temperature: whatever the recipe calls for use 1/2 butter and 1/2 shortening.

Mix it by hand. Seriously. Let it be the arm workout that justifies all of the cookies you are going to eat!

Don't Overmix: Cream the butter and sugar and then add the eggs one at a time. (if you can't mix it all by hand- STOP using the mixer after you add the eggs) From here on out stir in the flour mixture and chocolate chips.

Refrigerate your dough if you have time- even it is only 30 minutes.

DON'T spray your cookie sheets and preheat your oven.

Use a cookie scoop so that your cookies are all the same size

And MOST IMPORTANTLY pull your cookies out of the oven before they are done. (I have a grandma who will not take anything out of the oven until the timer goes off. The rolls can be black on top- and still no matter- they are not done until the timer dings.)

Be patient: Put just a few on the cookie sheet to start out with. Start with 8 minutes. If you can see they are still gooey- leave them in for another minute or two. But if they look like just one more minute and they will be perfect: Pull them out and let them set. I think that you'll be surprised that they keep cooking on the pan. If they are still too gooey then next time cook them a minute longer.

I would love to hear if these tips (and any others) help you make AWESOME, no-fail chocolate chip cookies!
* disclaimer- that is not my picture at the top, but it was the best I could find. Guess I'll have to make some!

11 comments:

Tatiana said...

Thanks for the cookie tips. I have tried Ashley's with similiar directions, but my dad-gum gas oven seems to hate cookies. I will try again, because what's the worst case scenario? Eating all of the dough? I'll keep you posted.

Ashley C. said...

mmm. cookies. that sounds good. maybe i should make some. thanks for all the tips!

Marianne said...

Yummy!
I'm going to have to agree with mixing by hand. While eating Jason's famous chocolate chip cookies on Sunday, I noticed that they were exceptionally good...even better than usual. I asked him what he had done differently and he said "I mixed them by hand!"

The Kleins said...

Good tips. I can't wait to use them!

Tarah said...

great advice!! my all time favorite desert is choc chip cookies and lately I've had trouble. I'm sure its the not so exact measuring and using my bosch mixer with cookie paddle! I'll try it Sunday

Nickposh said...

I am excited to eat some cookies tonight! Yum :)

Coleen said...

As you know I married into a chipper family, so they have their go-to recipe. I am a bit of a rebel because I like to experiment, but come Sunday I try to stick to the basics for the sake of my marriage. I love using ground oatmeal in my chocolate chip cookies and always try to refrigerate them before baking if time and wills allow.

Rachel said...

I love your tips. Thanks for sharing.

maxfamclan said...

Good tips! Thank you, that is just what I need!

The Kleins said...

You're right. It does work. I guess my 4 year old Baking Soda wasn't doing it's job anymore. Matt didn't know that the kids and I tried your tips and he even commented that they were really good. Thanks! ...but my waistline doesn't. All the people we shared them with thanks you to by the way.

coriconnors said...

Do you really not preheat your oven?