Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Cauliflower Soup

Is it cold today where you are? I found this fabulous soup recipe on the Pioneer Woman’s Blog. It is delish and even my kids ate it (they called it WHITE BROCCOLI SOUP) I didn’t add the sour cream and it was still plenty creamy and rich! Here is just the basic recipe as copied from her blog (with a couple of my notes) - but she takes amazing step by step pictures if you want to see them here! Enjoy! Hope it warms up your day!

PW’s Mom’s Cauliflower Soup
1 stick butter
1/2 onion, finely diced
1 carrot, finely diced
1 celery stalk, finely diced
1 to 2 heads cauliflower, roughly chopped (the more the better)
2 tablespoons chopped fresh or dried parsley
2 quarts low-sodium chicken broth or stock
2 cups whole milk (just used the 1% I had)
6 tablespoons flour
1 cup half & half
2 to 4 teaspoons salt, to taste
(1 generous cup sour cream, at room temperature- I didn’t add this)

In a large soup pot or dutch oven, melt 4 tablespoons butter. Add the onion and cook for a few minutes, or until it starts to turn brown. Add the carrots and celery and cook an addition couple of minutes. Add cauliflower and parsley and stir to combine. Cover and cook over very low heat for 15 minutes. After 15 minutes, pour in chicken stock or broth. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and allow to simmer.In a medium saucepan, melt 4 tablespoons butter. Mix the flour with the milk and whisk to combine. Add flour-milk mixture slowly to the butter, whisking constantly. Remove from heat and stir in 1 cup half & half. Add mixture to the simmering soup. Allow to simmer for 15 to 20 minutes. Check seasoning and add more salt or pepper if necessary.Just before serving, place the sour cream in a serving bowl or soup tureen. Add two to three ladles of hot soup into the tureen and stir to combine with the sour cream. Pour in remaining soup and stir. Serve immediately.

Did any of you try the Tomato Soup? Did you like it?

8 comments:

Ashley C. said...

dinner tomorrow. thank you very much. sounds delicious.

Courtney said...

Sounds delicious! I think I will have to make this one soon...all I have wanted lately is soup!

Courtney said...

And yes...I loved the tomato soup!! I am excited to grow my own tomatoes this year and maybe even learn how to can. Want to join me?

Katy said...

Yum, I'll be trying this one soon. I love Pioneer Woman!

And yes, we made the tomato soup. I loved it... the kids were a little more picky. Darn Campbells has ruined them as to what real tomato soup tastes like, I think!

Tatiana said...

Loved the soup! My kids were digging it, too. Of course, Ash made it, but the recipe is now safely behind my "soups" tab. I will try the tomato next week.....yes, with grilled cheese sandwiches on the side.

Ashley C. said...

A++ . that soup was so good. thanks for the recipie and the breadsticks tutorial. love you.

Malma said...

mmmmmm....looks scrumptious! it's going on the list for next week!

Heather-joy said...

i'm so excited to try and make this one & your creamy tomato soup recipe too. Have you tried zupas tomato soup mixed with their cauliflower soup? I might make both and see if they mix well... I'll let you know how it goes.. disaster or not :) thanks for sharing your recipes with me