Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Creamy Tomato Soup


3 large carrots
1 med onion chopped
2 cans of stewed tomatoes (28 oz size)
1 can tomato sauce (15 oz)
4 cups chicken broth
½ pint half and half
2 t dry basil
1 t salt
Pepper


Sauté carrots and onions in a 1 T butter in a large pot, until soft. Add tomatoes, sauce, broth, cream and spices and heat thoroughly. Simmer 10 min. Using a hand blender puree until smooth. (Or cool your soup and then puree in blender in small batches- make sure your soup is cool, and your batches are small, or you will end up with soup all over your ceiling!) Add a just a hint of salt, reheat and serve!

Recipe credit: my good friend Ash sent me a delish ward cookbook for my birthday. This soup is supposed to be Nordstrom’s Tomato Soup as submitted by Cindy Jermasek. I cut the recipe in half and made minor adjustments!

Enjoy! we are having it for dinner tonight and then I will post a picture! Let me know if you decide to try it and what you think!

8 comments:

Ashley C. said...

this sounds yummy. i will have to try it. thanks for the other good dinner ideas on the phone today. i love ya.

Tatiana said...

Adrianne,
I will for sure try this recipe out. I have been searching for a good creamy tomato soup. I will let you know how it goes. I hope you post more of your secret recipes here. Thanks for sharing. Oh and now, thanks to you, I can make a damn good cake now too!

Dan said...

Confession: I don't really like tomato soup, but I was happy to put down a second bowl. This stuff is good. Eat it with a grilled cheese sandwich and you'll be in heaven.

Courtney said...

Yeah....I love grilled cheese and tomato soup, but sometimes Campbell's doesn't quite hit the spot!!

adrienne said...

I love tomato soup but more importantly I love you cute family and Owen misses you girls! I am so glad you are not private anymore!!!!!

Coleen said...

I could cry right now. Tried and true yummy recipes from your kitchen. I love you and will try it next week. Thanks!

Courtney said...

It was good....tried it at M & D's....can't wait to make it!

Liz said...

Thank you, thank you! I have been wishing for a really good homemade tomato soup recipe - I can't eat the stuff out of the can. I can't wait to try it!