Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Chocolate Characters



1. choose your favorite character and print a picture that will fit on your cake. cover your picture with wax paper.
2. Melt baking chocolates. I find they melt best in a glass pan in the oven at 170.

3. Tint your chocolates with OIL CANDY COLORINGS. They come in most every color- but I just bought Red, Yellow and Blue and figured I could make most colors from those.


4. Pour melted chocolates into squeeze bottles (old mustard and ketchup style)- or for smaller amounts just use small bowls. Trace carefully around your picture with an outline color. (We used chocolate.) The details that are on the top of the picture should be done first.



5. Fill in the remaining space with other colors. The chocolates dry fast so don't worry about the colors blending. Let dry completely and then flip over onto cake and gently pull back wax paper.



7 comments:

Rachel said...

Wow! That is super impressive and I would have never thought to try that approach. If I ever find a Pluto cake pan I'll send it to you.

Brittany said...

That turned out great! I hope the party was fun.

maxfamclan said...

That's handy! I might actually be able to do something cool next cake!

Corinne said...

What a fun idea...I can't wait to try it for Luke's party (that is, if I am ambitious enough!)

Amanda said...

OK. You are AMAZING!!! this is SO cute!!

Unknown said...

I tried this as a buttercream transfer and it was not easy and didn't look near as nice as using the squeeze bottles with melted chocolates instead of frosting. Next time!!

coriconnors said...

Well its been like a year since I have visited this marvelous blog! What a treasure!!! I am uber impressed with Dan designing Pluto! K, so where do I get the white chocolate thingies and the coloring?