Monday, March 30, 2009

Med Student Cinnamon Rolls

One morning I was at work when thee most delicious cinnamon rolls I had ever seen arrived. They were uniformly perfect. Who made these AMAZING cinnamon rolls??

"I did" piped up a med student.

"No. No you didn't" answered snotty me. (honestly these were bakery quality, NOT Rhoades.)

"ya, I did"

"You mean your wife did?" I insisted. (What a dork I thought. Does he really think that I would believe that he made these.)

"Really. I made them."


"SO, where did you buy them?" I asked again, not backing down. (I make cinnamon rolls A LOT. I have tried lots of recipes, and although most turn out good these were stop the car fantastic.)

"Seriously I made them."

After asking at least 5 more times, (and was told by a co-worker I was being rude) I conceded. "Can I have the recipe?"

And so here it is: in his own words

MED STUDENT CINNAMON ROLLS
4 eggs
2 1/2 c warm water
3/4 c sugar
2 tbs yeast
1 c semi-melted butter

ADD and mix, then knead:

7 1/2 c flour
2 tsp salt
let rise 20 minutes

roll out into a rectangle

pour on about 1/2 c butter

spread on brown sugar/cinnamon mix :cinnamon such that it tastes like it is almost too much)make it uniform and more that you would think. (I used 1 c brown sugar and 2 Tbs cinnamon)

roll into whatever size roll you desire. (He would make 16-24 rolls I made 30)

let rise about 25 minutes

bake these at 350 for about 14-17 minutes

let them cool about 5 minutes before frosting and frost such that they are completely covered so they don't dry out.

general frosting idear
soften 1/4 c butter and 2 Tbs cream cheese until both are nice and soft, mix together
add in about 3 tbs of milk and 1 tsp of vanilla, mix like crazy
add in enough powdered sugar to make it about as thick as good cake frosting
P.S. spend the extra $.75 and get the good butter, it really makes a difference with these.


P. P.S. turns out the med student used to work in a bakery

14 comments:

Marianne said...

That is hilarious! I love that you kept badgering him and thinking that he was a liar. Priceless!

The Cinnamon Rolls looks so yummy!

Coleen said...

These look like a good conference treat. Jared "made" me a great Apple Pie when we were dating and to this day I still think the pie was baked by either Julie or Joel.

Tatiana said...

Yummy! I will give these a shot. Your demo looks to die for, and the pink plate, well... I want it! I have to agree with you about the expensive butter. It is worth it. I have taken to hoarding it when it goes on sale.

Ashley C. said...

wait a second... there is a difference between good butter and not so good butter? am i that "in the dark"? oh well.

those look delish. glad you still got to make them with the morning you had.

love that little meg.

Nickposh said...

Love the cinnamon rolls... thanks for dropping some by... so delicious! And love that sweet Meggie even more!

It's Been a Day! said...

i was going to make cinnamon rolls for conference this weekend - you read my mind! Thanks for the recipe. And yes, I'll be making them in my new apron!

EmilyCC said...

I've never been happy with the cinnamon roll recipes I've tried either, but I know that if you say it's stop the car fantastic, well, then, I've got to go to the grocery store right now!

Dan said...

They were absolutely awesome. Best breakfast I've had in a while. I hope there are some left when I get home.

Courtney said...

I loved that I got one on Monday night from Annie and one on Tuesday morning from Dan. Being related to you sure is sweet!!!

Mushie said...

I will add my testimonial...they were divine! Thanks for sharing!
A..your sweet rolls have come a long way!

coriconnors said...

K, well, so much for cleaning my room this morning!

Jenny H said...

I am so grateful for your blog recipes...seriously.
My daughter said ..."Please make that tomato soup again. You know, the good one." ...just yesterday.
I'm making these babies today.

Heather-joy said...

Adrianne I love this story! Who told you tat you were being rude? While I'm out on stupid fmla I think I will attempt to bake some of your delicious treats, although doing it one-handed might not be too fun.

Amanda said...

Ha... this is an awesome story, with a great ending... Thanks for the recipe! Can't wait to try it out! Yippy for good butter!