Tuesday, March 3, 2009

How does your Garden Grow??

I love to garden, the flower variety that is, but last summer we planted our very first vegetable garden. We grew summer, crookneck, acorn and spaghetti squash, 3 varieties of pumpkins, tomatoes, peppers, cucumbers, watermelon, basil and zucchini. It was one of the easiest things I have ever done. My brother-in-law made me some garden boxes which I filled with topsoil. I planted some little starts from Home Depot and just like magic I had a garden full of vegetables!!
Did you know that you can start planting your vegetable garden in March?? Yes now is the time to plant peas, onions, broccoli, cabbage, spinach, beets, parsley, spinach, carrots, radishes and turnips, potatoes and lettuce.

I think that this year is a wonderful time to plant early and often. (Seeds and starts only cost a few dollars and think of all the money you will save). Start now and you will have a long growing season filled with wonderful fresh veggies!

1. Pick a spot with lots of sunlight and make sure the soil is good. Use top soil to fill new garden boxes or amend the soil with nutra mulch or bumber crop to replenish nutrients to the soil.

2. Make a list of veggies that you most often buy or eat. (don't plant a bunch of silly veggies that you and your kids are not going to eat- we had squash and pumpkins coming out our ears. And although it was fun this year I want to plant veggies that we eat a lot of so that I don't need to buy them from the store. ) Right now I might only plant onions and carrots and lettuce but at least I know we will eat what I grow!

3. Know when to plant.
March is a great time to start planting root vegetables.
J&L Garden Center has a wonderful (day by day) schedule on their website of when to plant here in Northern Utah.

4. Watch for great recipes on the blog using fresh veggies like inside out carrot cake cookies!



6 comments:

Dan said...

The squash was good, but the pumpkins were a bit much. Let's go for tomatoes and peppers because the homemade salsa is awesome. And why not try another pumpkin?

Ashley C. said...

love the garden. cant wait. i did love your pumpkins though.. but salsa is more fun to eat!
yeah for gardens.

Nickposh said...

l love that picture of Kate. Wish my yard was ready for a garden... oh well, I will enjoy your crop again until my own is ready to go!

Mushie said...

I'm putting in my order soon! I'll need to borrow some land and some sunshine...but I love the veggies!
I adore that picture of Kate!

maxfamclan said...

OOOO! I love this idea! Thanks for the post and the very helpful link. We are going to try a garden this year, more then our herbs, tomatoes and strawberries (now there is something we can't grow enough of, strawberries).

suzi said...

I just told Tommy this morning that we could plant a garden this year! I'm glad I came across this blog of yours with such great info!
As soon as this crummy snow gets out of the way, we are planting! Excited to check out that website too... thanks!