Saturday, March 14, 2009

St Patrick's Day Dinner: Part II

Not like anyone (except maybe Maddie) cares what we are really having for St. Patricks day dinner (since my family will just show up and eat here) so I have slacked in announcing to the blog world what's for dinner!

It was going to be corned beef in a crock pot, but Dan spearheaded a revolt and my invited guest almost had "other plans" . . . so i have reconsidered and we will have brisket instead. What's the difference you wonder? Ah, corned beef is the salted (or brined version) of brisket. The brine has always worked for me before, but the pink spam look doesn't work for Dan. I am sure it is good and I might have to cook it up next week just to try it. Hey I never thought I would like cabbage rolls either, but we had them at the Steelers party and they were good!

Oh yes, dinner.

Brisket, breadsticks, broccoli smashed potatoes, and whatever green or Irish things Courtney & Scott, Nicole, and Ash & fam are bringing. (yes Ash I bought a 6 lb brisket would love you to come unless your wonderful neighbor friend and you want to have brisket there instead.) Some green additions might be a salad, or asparagus, or cabbage, or jello (the kids would love it).

Sorry Marianne I am not crock potting it. But slow cooker in the oven (about 4 hours) from the recipe in April's Martha Stewart Living.

But a fun addition to the meal will be our green
Broccoli Smashed Potatoes
4 lbs yukon gold potatoes (I like them best for smashed potatoes)
1 lb broccoli
milk
butter
sour cream
salt
garlic
milk

sorry but I make my mashed potatoes without a real recipe. But here is the basic idea:
peel, cube and cook potatoes until soft. Steam broccoli until soft- allow broccoli to cool and then puree in blender with a little milk . For the potatoes ( i like to mix them in my kitchen aid) add milk, butter, sour cream and garlic until whipped and creamy! Fold in the broccoli puree and adjust seasonings to taste!!

Happy St. Patrick's day!

6 comments:

Courtney said...

OOoooo! I am getting excited! Can we bring some green Jell-O jigglers?

Lori said...

The broccoli mashed potatoes sound awesome. I never liked broccoli as a kid but love it now. To bad when I eat it it makes Sadie, my baby, have a tummy ache. I think will try this recipe when I am not nursing.

Marianne said...

Sounds yummy! If you end up trying the corned beef in the crock pot, let me know how it goes.

Coleen said...

We are having take out and apple juice with food coloring. I am going to bookmark this for next year and hopefully will be able to be a little more creative and have more energy.

Dan said...

Well done A, dinner was terriffic. I could see those items making it into the rotation.

Tatiana said...

Ok Adrianne, let's roll out the Easter fun. All that green food is making me sick. Maddi and I can't wait for another seasonal installment.