Saturday, February 28, 2009

Pumpkin Pancakes

And to finish off the week with a bang- my favorite . . . Pumpkin pancakes! Yes I am totally out of season, (and so are my shoes) but they are my favorite and so I'll enjoy them year round. The first recipe is my moms, the second is one that a friend from Boston sent me. So try one or both but either way I hope you have enjoyed Pancake Week. I know we have!!

Pumpkin Pancakes
2 c. flour
3 T brown sugar
2 t baking powder
1 t baking soda
1 t all spice
1 t cinnamon
1/2 t ginger
1/2 t salt
1 1/2- 1 3/4 c milk
1 egg
2 T oil
1 c. canned pumpkin

Mix all ingredients in the mixer. The batter is thick- so use a little extra milk if you would like, And don't be afraid to cook them a little longer than regular pancakes. This is my mom's recipe and she loves them with homemade syrup and a dollop of real whipping cream!

Pumpkin Pancakes II
1 c flour (I use wheat flour)
3 Tbs sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
3/4 cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg (I substitute 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice for the cinnamon & nutmeg)
1 egg
1 c plain low-fat yogurt
1/4 c pumpkin puree
2 Tbs butter melted

In bowl, stir all dry ingredients. In other bowl beat the egg for 30 seconds. Add yogurt, pumpkin, butter and beat well. Stir in dry ingredients and beat until combined. Cook on nonstick skillet on med high heat.
For the treat version: I add about three chocolate chips as I am cooking the batter on the skillet. Then I make a smiley face with whip cream.

3 comments:

Marianne said...

I've loved pancake week! I'm looking forward to trying these.

The German Pancake recipe brought back fun memories for me. My best friend from middle school and I used to make them for breakfast after sleepovers! :o) So yummy!

Tatiana said...

My daughter Maddie, who is 12, has taken to your posts. I awoke this morning to her making crepes for the family. She printed out the recipe and all. They turned out beautifully! Crepes are now in my "breakfast" tab. Keep the ideas coming, I/we love them!

Lori said...

I am a big fan of pumpkin pancakes. I open a big can of pumpkin and freeze in the right portions. Then thaw in the microwave for a few seconds. Great so you don't waist a whole can of pumpkin.